By Dr. Anju Sodhi (BAMS, ND)
Summer squash with horse gram
Makes 4 servings
Horse gram is like a lentil bean that is packed with protein. Easily digestible after soaking, these beans are great for the urinary health.
- ¾ cup horse gram beans
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1-2 fresh chilis (optional)
- ½ teaspoon turmeri
- 2 ½ cup water
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup chopped summer squash (green and yellow are most popular)
- 1.5 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Go through the horse gram and remove any debris.
- Soak the horse gram beans in lukewarm water overnight.
- Discard the soaking water and rinse the beans with cool clean water.
- Place the horse gram in a pressure cooker. Add garlic, onion, chilies, turmeric, and water. Pressure cook for 40-60 minutes on medium heat or until beans are tender. Add the salt and then set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small think-bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds and stir until they pop. Add crushed tomatoes and squash. Cook for 10 minutes, until squash is tender
- Add the pot’s contents into the pot full of horse gram. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with avocado or lime.
- Optional to serve with rice.
Quinoa Salad with leeks. tomato, kale, cilantro, cumin and lemon juice.
Bitter Melon Sauteed with olive oil and onion.
Vegetable & Lentil Soup with Carrot and Ginger.
Chicken & Fenugreek Leaves recipe
Black Chickpeas or Chana, with ginger and cumin seeds.